Despite the bitter temperature, Zoë’s been out lots over the past few days to see what the new temperature control was like regarding vertical climb during hover. She takes just over a minute to warm the sensors up to 40ºC and for the sensors to stabilize regardless of ambient temperature. And for the first time since I swapped to motion control processing rather than angular control, she just hovered – she didn’t drift up or down during the hover phase:
The ‘fix’ to the problems I’d been seeing due to wind chill was solved by a lump of blue-tak covering the MPU6050 to help keep it warm. Well, that along with a complete rewrite of the start up code that waits for temperature and sensor stabilizationbefore anything else happens. The transformation is amazing!
I’ve also recalibrated the sensors to be confident as she’d been showing a consistent slight drift to starboard. Clearly that’s still there but much better, though also clearly, I need to work on the landings / shutdown to make sure the ESCs have shutdown completelly before the PWM signal to them is turned off!
You might have spotted the golden foam dome has reappeared on her underside to protect the battery and keep it warm. I’m not sure I’ve ever mentioned what the landing dome is: it’s a Slazenger Shortex foam tennis ball sliced up with an electric carving knife normally used for the Sunday joint!
I did run a few more flights after this one, but one of the blades had fractured, so they were a lot less good. As always, it was a right hand blade that got broken, so no more flights until the new ones arrive, probably tomorrow.
Here’s the blade graveyard, just to give you an idea of how many I’ve got through in the last week or so. These are only the ones where the blade was ripped completely off the prop. Ones where the prop still has two blades, but with one damaged go into the bin indoors. Each prop is £15. Ouch!