Hermione will be the mother of all that’s gone; she’s a bit heartless at the moment – her HoG will be an RPi A3 when it appears on the market.
The main reason behind building yet another quadcopter is the frame:
- loads more space for extra sensors
- folding arms so it’s easily transportable
- beautiful build – lots of CF and CNC machining
- lots of extension platforms adding lots of options of where to put all the pieces – installed here are a power distribution board (in the plate sandwich), a plate for her HoG, and a GPS plate sticking out to the left.
The one thing that’s missing are legs – I’ve had the ones supplied before, and they crack and break with the down-falls my testing produces. There are stronger ones I’ll be getting. I’ve bought from quadframe.com previously for Chloe so I know the high quality of their frames; the previous frame I’d bought was premature, and sadly I ended up selling it.
But this time, I have a purpose for all the extra space: Hermione will be deployed with GPS, LiDAR x 2, PX4FLOW, a RPi Camera and anything else I can get onto her. Also the frame supports an X8 layout as well as standard quad format; X8 is where each arm has 2 motors and props: the top motor prop is set up as normal; the lower one is upside down, and the prop is installed on the motor upside down. The topside and underside props spin in opposite directions. This format provides more power for heavy lifts and protection against motor / prop damage or failure. Each prop has its own ESC and separate PWM feed.
Doing the above requires the A3 for its extra cores to do a lot more sensor processing and a new PCB to support the new GPIO pin requirements.
GPS, LiDAR and LEDDAR require UART connections; X8 requires another 4 GPIO pins for the 4 ESCs PWM feed. One of the sensors – probably GPS – can use the USB port, assuming the A3 has built-in WiFi like the B3. PXFLOW uses I2C.
My thinking is that LEDDAR and PXFLOW provide term fused inputs to the distance PIDs; GPS provides targets for the flight plan; compass is the yaw input with the the flight plan providing direction of travel so that a camera pointing forwards can always track her progress; Scance Sweep provides object detection overriding the GPS flight path short term to avoid objects.
Together, this means I could set a start and end position for a flight using GPS (either just start and finish or with intermediate check points), and then just set her loose autonomously to track against those points, whether this is simply flying from A to B or getting from the entrance to the centre of a maze, logging “where I’ve been” to ensure she always prioritises new paths through the maze.
Here’s the current PCB eagle layout for Phoebe and Chloe:
- the right hand side 3 vertical PCB tracks are for the LiPo to 5V regulator – I’m planning on Hermione having a BEC on her PDB (power distribution board), so that opens up space for the rear X8 PWM pins.
- the left hand side 4 vertical PCB track are I2C extensions in place for the URF, but the space is needed for the the front X8 PWM pins so the I2C extension is moved to the bottom edge and will be used for the PIX4FLOW.
Here’s the first draft of the revised PCB:
- pins 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 are used for LEDDAR as now but extended outwards
- the GPIO pins for PWM are completely reworked for X8 format as is the MPU9250 interrupt pin; I’ll probably end up adding X8 before I add Scanse Sweep simply to fill the gap between now and its delivery
- I2C is extended on the lowerside for the PX4FLOW
- That leaves a selection of pins and space on the topside for Scanse Sweep – I need to get wiring specs for this; and alternative is via USB using a UART to USB converter – I have one of these already for use configurating LEDDAR by my Windows PC.
- GPS will also be via USB, assuming the WiFi is now build into the A3 board or I might use a mini USB hub like on of these that I used already for other projects.
Regarding WiFi, to extend the range, I’m going to replace the (hopefully) on board antenna with a HiRose U.FL connector, as per here. That will then allow me to connect to a U.FL to RP-SMA cable, and place a higher gain antenna on the board.
I’ve still left a few breadboard pins at the base as they may turn out to be useful for LEDs, buzzers etc.
As you can see, there’s a lot that needs to be done, but it breaks down into lots of separate blocks to keep me busy until the A3 and Scanse Sweep arrive. The first step is simple: move Chloe’s HoG over to Hermione’s frame, and get her stable.
*Penelope (as in “Pitstop”) was a close runner up, but with my existing HoGWARTs WAP installation notes, Hermione (as in “Granger”) won the ballot outright.