I’ve just managed to get my Quadcopter code to run under PyPy rather than CPython – that means the code is compiled in advance for each run (Just In Time or JIT) rather than interpreted line by line. Sadly, this took the performance down to 58% rather than the 95% I’d achieved with CPython 🙁
However, the PyPy code in the standard Raspian distribution is very out of date (version 2.2.1 compared to the current 2.6) so there’s more investigation to be done.
In passing, I also updated the Raspian distribution (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) installed on Phoebe, and amazingly, that has taken me to about 98%!
Time to go see if that’s made a real difference…