Irritations and Innovations

No breakthroughs to report but:

  • Zoe is now running indoors safely with or without motion fusion installed
  • Without the fusion, she drifts horizontally and continues to rise during hover phase: this suggests the value for gravity at takeoff has drifted during the flight, perhaps temperature related?  It’s only about 15°C in our house currently which is outside the range she works well in.  First test is to add a blob of blue tack on the IMU so it isn’t cooled by the breeze from the props.
  • With fusion, her height is much better, but she swings laterally around her takeoff point – the Garmin LiDAR lite is doing it’s job well but there’s some tuning required for the lateral motion from the Raspberry Camera.  Also it’s dark in the play room, even with the lighting on, so I’m going to add LED lighting under her motors to give the camera better site.  She’s flying over an IKEA LEKPLATS play mat, but ours seems very faded, so I’ll be getting her a new one.
  • I’ve added a whole bunch of safety trip wires so that, for example, if she’s 50cm above where the flight plan says she should be, the flight dies.  Together these make her much safer for flights indoors.
  • I’ve added enhanced scheduling to prioritise IMU over camera input when the IMU FIFO is reading half-full; this is to prevent FIFO overflows as camera processing sometimes takes a while, and the overflows have been happening a lot recently.
  • I’ve also added another couple of pairs of PIDs – I’m not sure how I got away without them before.  The equivalent controls yaw perfectly, but the pitch and roll angles were missing, skipping straight to the rotation rates instead.
    • distance (target – input) =PID=> corrective velocity target
    • velocity (target – input) =PID=> corrective acceleration target
    • acceleration target => angular target (maths to choose an angle for a desired acceleration)
    • angle (target – input) =PID=> corrective rotation target
    • rotation (target – input) =PID=> PWM output

Together all these changes require a lot of tuning, tinkering and testing; I hope to report back with a video when there’s something worth sharing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *