Garmin LiDAR-Lite interrupts

Here’s what I’ve captured from my scope.

LiDAR interrupts

LiDAR interrupts

It’s mostly at 2.5V with 3.3V peaks at 50ms or 20Hz corresponding to the LiDAR sampling frequency.

So the interrupt is kind of working, except the GPIO pull down is not ‘hard enough to get the 2.5V down to 0V.  Because of that, the GPIO rising edge code isn’t capturing these tiny interrupt peaks.

This suggests the LiDAR output isn’t floating as the spec implies, but has a pull-up which is lower resistance than the GPIO pull down resistor.  Seems I need to add an explicit pull-down resistor to aid the GPIO pull-down internal resistor.  Time to find out what that is.


P.S. The internal GPIO pull up/down resistor is apparently 50k, and a quick calculation suggests that means the Garmin pull-up is about 17k – this results in the base-level 2.5V shown above. So I added a 10k between the interrupt and ground, as this would bring the ‘floating’ voltage to less than 50% and hopefully enough to allow the GPIO pull up/down to work. But it didn’t, it dragged everything down to near zero (including the spikes), so I removed it, but the spikes shown above had vanished, suggesting the 10k may have broken something. The Garmin is still producing height values luckily. Annoyingly, it had no effect on the I2C errors. I’m running out of ideas of what’s causing these. 🙁

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *