This is my second Pi, which arrive a few days ago. Have had a bit of a tussle getting it to work as required, so I thought I’d share the details.
The Rpi came from Farnell within just over a week from when I ordered it. I bought an empty RPi, as I got lots of bits leftover from setting up the first one.
Here’s how it’s set up.
- RPi is house in a PiBow – simply lovely and worth every penny
- I bought the same USB hub to power the Pi and handle keyboard, and mouse.
- The hub is powering the RPi with a tiny USB to micro USB cable.
- The Edimax Wifi is on the Pi itself, as it wasn’t quite stable enough on the hub
- Keyboard and mouse are as for Turtle Pi
- I bought a clean Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s 300X class 10 SDHC card
The fiddly bit (other than gettinig the Edimax to work) was to get the 512MB all in use. Eventually I did using this
- I flashed the SD card with the latest firmware (2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian) and Win32DiskImager as per here
- I booted the RPi and followed the instructions gathered from various forum posts
- I editied /boot/config.txt to add the gpu_mem_512=128 like (so I have a 384 RAM 128 GPU memory balance)
- I rebooted and used ‘top’ on the command line to check the available memory showing just under the 384MB I’d put in config.txt.